Low Calorie Happy Hour
“Here’s the bottom line: when you drink alcohol, your liver’s primary focus becomes detoxifying that alcohol. When you’re trying to lose body fat, regulate blood sugar levels, or improve health in any way, you don’t want to distract you liver from metabolic or detoxification processes.”
– Diane Sanfilippo, Practical Paleo
With that being said… sometimes you need a drink or two. Here are some tips to lower the calories in your drinks:
- Drink it straight! It may put hair on your chest but it’ll prevent adding extra inches around your waist with chasers like sodas and juices.
- Add fruit. Fruit is great way to naturally sweeten your alcohol.
- Use seltzer water as a mixer. If you enjoy carbonation, I recommend plain seltzer with some fruit or 100% natural juice. Avoid sugary sodas!
- Hard seltzers like Truly and White Claw. They are popular for a reason! Not only are they lower calorie, they are a refreshing choice made with no artificial ingredients.
- Choose lighter beers (e.g. Yuengling Flight) over heavier options like IPAs.
- Order or make a Bloody Mary (bonus points if you add pickles and celery) versus a sweet, fruity drink. Making it extra spicy may help slow down your drinking – if that’s a goal!
- Avoid: simple syrup (e.g. flavored margaritas mixes, moscow mules – ask the bartender to make it without), artificial colors, high-fructose corn syrup (e.g. blue curacao, grenadine), mixing with soda, sweet wines