It is common to hear about proper ergonomics throughout the workplace, but what about having good posture and form for everyday activities like driving doing the dishes, vacuuming, etc. There are many benefits to having proper ergonomics including:
- Better breathing and blood circulation
- Decreased stress on the body
- Prevention of muscle fatigue and postural strain
- A healthier appearance through your posture and efficiency of movement
Let’s look at proper ergonomics for some of the most common things people do every day!
- Angle of your seat should be 90 degrees
- Sit up straight, with your head close to the headrest. Don’t slouch!
- Make sure steering wheel is pulled out far enough that your elbows can stay at 90 degrees
Handheld Devices/Screen time:
- Limit typing to a minimum to avoid stress on the fingers
- Extend your neck a few times after staring down at a screen
- Place support under your elbows to help hold the device up and avoid prolonged neck flexion
- Stand as close to the sink/washer as you can so you can keep items close to your body
- Relax your shoulders down and back so they are out of your ears
- Tuck your pelvis to contract your lower abdominals if you want a nice little workout
- Move your feet to place items in the dishwasher/washer/dryer. Keep your nose in between your toes.
- Carry gym bags, handbags, backpacks, and purses across your body rather than on one shoulder
- Avoid sitting with wallets or phones in your back pocket
- Wear supportive shoes when walking long distances
- Push rolling bags like luggage when possible
Try a few of these out and notice how your body feels! It may be weird at first, but over-time you will train your body to move efficiently and properly! Please reach out to WellHealth Worx with any questions.