Avoid the Carb Coma this Thanksgiving
Get your potato fix, but make it more nutritious!
- Re-evaluate the fats you are cooking with. Opt for oils and fats like: avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil, ghee, or grass-fed butter. Remove canola and vegetable oil from your cabinets – as these are inflammatory fats.
- Roast potatoes. This method of cooking can add flavor and texture, whereas boiling potatoes – you lose flavor! When we lose flavor we tend to add things like creams and butter to compensate.
- Get smaller potatoes. The nutrients, vitamins, and minerals are found in the peel. With smaller potatoes, you’ll eat more of the “skin”!
Use nut flours
- Nut butters do not undergo bleaching or extraction of nutrients like traditional flours
- They are also typically higher in protein and fiber and lower in carbs than traditional
- Just be aware of any nuts allergies and if any recipes need revised due to differing densities in flours